Part 1: Seeds
To get started growing all you need are seeds, compost and containers, plus GIY Founder Mick Kelly’s seed sowing masterclass.
- Sow beetroot, chard, French beans, kale and lettuce in module trays (or egg cartons)
- Sow basil in a small pot (or coffee cup)
- Make an indoor watering can with an old plastic bottle.
- Leave your seeds somewhere light and warm, indoors.
- Water carefully to keep each seed moist. Don’t let it dry out, but don’t let it get sodden.
- Don’t be daunted by horticulture lingo or gardening lingo. All you need are seeds, soil and something to put them in.
- Overfill your containers and bang them down to prevent air pockets causing your seeds to fall.
- Know the depth that each seed needs to be sown at to give it the best chance of germination.
- Cover your containers with compost and scrape the top off.
- Water gently so the seed doesn’t get washed away.
GIY.ie is grateful for the support of our Growth Fund partners Social Innovation Fund Ireland and The Department of Rural & Community Development, whose funding has enabled us to promote and disseminate this online course, engaging thousands of people in How Food Grows.